Bioiatriki HEALTHCARE GROUP possesses complete and reliable diagnostic tools for SARS COV-2 testing, at every stage of the pandemic as well as in the vaccination process.
BIOMED COVID-19 check-ups are available and include different combinations of laboratory tests, which allow a full investigation of a possible COVID-19 case.
These tests can detect if there has been a history of SARS-COV-2 infection, diagnose any active COVID-19 disease, assess the course of the disease, and the severity of the clinical symptoms.
In addition, with these tests, it is possible to assess whether a healthy person to be vaccinated is likely to have had coronavirus in the recent past, if they are infected at the time of the test but also if they have any undiagnosed allergic predispositions.
Molecular testing is used to detect severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the virus that causes COVID-19. The molecular method (PCR) is based on the detection of viral particles. For a test to be positive, a certain number of viral particles must be detected. The test detects only antigen, not antibodies. The molecular PCR test performed in Bioiatriki HEALTHCARE GROUP laboratories shows 100% specificity and 99.17% sensitivity.
The laboratory analyzes each sample individually (single-sample testing) and not by pooling (several samples together).
Molecular tests are indicated for the symptomatic phase of the disease, as they determine if someone has been infected with the virus now, but do not show if anyone was infected in the past. Depending on the doctors' recommendations, the molecular test may be performed shortly after the symptoms onset and may be repeated in a couple of days.
This method is considered the ‘gold standard’ examination since it can confirm that the virus is actually present in the body. It is recommended for everyone, when the active disease must be documented, regardless of whether it is symptomatic or not.
More reliable results are obtained after the fourth day of transmission of the infection. The method used to detect the genetic material of the virus and therefore to confirm its presence in the test material is called reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) assay and the specimen used is nasopharyngeal, oropharyngeal smear or combined nasopharyngeal plus oropharyngeal smear for greater sensitivity.
Based on the Government Gazette (Sheet No. 5387) and the relevant decision setting maximum sales prices for coronavirus detection tests, the prices for coronavirus detection tests using the PCR molecular screening method are as follows:
|Coronavirus detection test with molecular method PCR||40€|
|Sampling for the coronavirus detection test with molecular method PCR||20€|
With the rapid antigen detection test for the SARS-CoV-2 virus the examinee receives an immediate response, with results in about one hour.
Rapid testing is recommended at this stage of the pandemic, wherever rapid detection of positive cases is necessary in order to stop the transmission of COVID-19 disease.
It is suitable for symptomatic people to determine if they are infected with the virus or not. It is also suitable for asymptomatic people, as long as they meet the relevant epidemiological criteria.
Coronavirus antigen detection test (Rapid test): 10€
|Coronavirus antigen detection test by the rapid test method (COVID-19 Ag Rapid test)||10€|
It is recommended by experts as the test of choice for the epidemiological surveillance of large groups as well as in places of mass gatherings (social events, large companies, factories, clubs, school communities, sports events, etc.) as it can contribute to the immediate identification and isolation of positive cases.
In Bioiatriki, the rapid detection system of ABBOTT Diagnostics is used for the analysis, with 93.3% sensitivity and 99.4% specificity, while the examination is performed painlessly, with a nasopharyngeal smear specimen.
In Bioiatriki Group laboratories, we carry out a semi-quantitative detection of antibodies IgA, IgM and IgG. These antibodies are produced by the infected person as a defense against the new coronavirus SARS-CoV-2.
IgM antibodies are produced by the immune system fairly quickly and provide first-line defense during active infection. IgA antibodies show a recent infection with the virus and remain stable for longer than IgM. IgG antibodies are produced later on during the infection, remain stable for a long time and their detection indicates a previous contact of the person with the virus, while they are directly related to the development of immunity to the virus.
In the current phase of the pandemic, in addition to the qualitative detection of antibodies, the quantification of IgG antibodies is particularly important, since they are the antibodies that "build" the body's long-term immunity against the coronavirus. Measuring these antibodies provides important information about our body's ability to defend itself and its level of immunity to SARS-CoV-2.
Of particular value is the measurement of anti-spike IgG antibodies, which act against the apical protein S of the coronavirus through which the virus attaches to and enters human cells. Quantification of anti-spike IgG antibodies is useful for assessing post-vaccination immunization efficacy against SARS-CoV-2.
The detection of antibodies is performed by blood sampling, and all the necessary safety measures for the examinees and the employees (healthcare personnel) are applied.
• Alimos (578, Vouliagmenis Ave., Alimos, +30 210 9937770)
• Ampelokipoi (132, Kifisias Ave. & Papada Str., Ampelokipoi, +30 210 6966000)
• Chaidari (429A, Athinon Ave., Egaleo, +30 210 5317794)
• Chalandri (44, Pentelis Ave. & 2, Irakleous Str., Chalandri, +30 210 6800991)
• Glyfada (187, Vouliagmenis Ave., Glyfada, +30 210 8981174)
• Kifissia (227, Kifissias Ave., Anavryta, Kifissia, +30 210 6124592)
• Markopoulo (Souniou Ave. & Myrinountos Str., Markopoulo, +30 2299 440989)
• Melissia (73, Dimokratias Ave. [Pentelis Str. extension], Melissia, +30 210 6966000)
• Menidi (5, Athinon Str. [Dimokratias Ave. extension] & An. Vrettou [former IKA], Menidi, +30 210 6966000)
• Nea Ionia (34, Melinas Merkouri, Nea Ionia, +30 210 6800991)
• Nea Smyrni (231, El.Benizelou & Psarron, Nea Smyrni, +30 214 6878800)
• Peiraias (33, Fillelinon, Peiraias, +30 210 42974468)
• Pefki (14, Amarousiou Ave., Pefki, +30 214 6878800)
• Peristeri (6, Ethnarchou Makariou & Ikarias Str., Peristeri, +30 214 4050000)
• Peristeri (75–77, Panagi Tsaldari Str., Peristeri, +30 210 5775588)
• Rafina (26th km Marathonos Ave., Rafina, +30 2294 440010)
• BioClinic Athens (15, Marinou Geroulanou Str., Ampelokipoi, +30 210 6962600)
• Chalkida (13, October 28th, Chalkis, Evia, +30 2221 440980)
• Ampelokipwn (13 Papaflessa & Meg. Alexandrou, 561 23 Thessaloniki, +30 2310 749672)
• Kleanthous (10, Kleanthous Str., 546 42 Thessaloniki, +30 2310 868460, 868461)
• Nea Michaniona (1, Kosta Varnali Str., 570 04 Thessaloniki, +30 23920 33169)
• Peraia (2, Thessalonikis Ave., Thessaloniki, +30 2310 459660)
• Polixnis (20, Elpidos, 565 33 Thessaloniki, +30 2310602726)
• Stavroupoli (234, Lagkada Str., Stavroupoli, Thessaloniki, +30 2310 669629)
• Vas. Olgas (154, Vas. Olgas Str., Martiou district, +30 2310 880110, 880199)
• Xirokrinis (55, Gr. Koloniari Str., 546 29 Thessaloniki, +30 2310 548122)
• BioClinic Thessaloniki (86, Mitropoleos Str., Thessaloniki, +30 2310 372600)
At the start of the pandemic, Bioiatriki HEALTHCARE GROUP was the first in Greece to implement the internationally recognized "drive through" sampling for COVID tests, with the aim of providing faster and safer service to the public. Currently, the same sampling process is implemented in Bioiatriki-Alimos (Athens) and Bioiatriki-Perea (Thessaloniki). The person arrives by appointment, in the specially designed area, with his/her car and the sampling is carried out without leaving the vehicle, minimizing the contact with other people. The whole sampling process takes approximately 10 minutes.
• Main Laboratory, Strovolos (59, Ifigenias Str., Strovolos, 2003 Nicosia, +377 22204900, hours: 07.00–20.00)
• Multidisciplinary Health Center (Polidinamo Center), Strovolos (100, Lemesos Ave., Strovolos, 2015 Nicosia, +377 22419700, hours: 07.00–20.00)
• Arediou (21, Griva Digeni Str., Arediou, 2614 Nicosia, +377 22319299)
• Astromeritis (15B, Troodous Ave., Astromeritis, 2722 Nicosia, +377 22313110)
• Egkomi–UNIC (8, Markou Drakou Str., Egkomi, 2409 Nicosia, +377 22368922)
• Tseri (40B, Theodosi Pieridi Str., Tseri, 2480 Nicosia, +377 22315937)
To better serve the community, the following COVID-19 sampling sites of Bioiatriki HEALTHCARE GROUP will operate on weekends as follows:
• Saturday: 07.00 – 20.00
• Sunday: 08.00 – 20.00
✓ Bioiatriki Alimos
✓ Bioiatriki Ampelokipoi
✓ Bioiatriki Kifissia
✓ Bioiatriki Peristeri (Ethnarchou Makariou)
✓ Bioiatriki N. Smyrni
✓ Bioiatriki N. Ionia
✓ Bioiatriki Vas. Olgas
✓ Bioiatriki Stavroupoli
The turn-around-time (TAT) for the results of the PCR test is 24-hours maximum, regardless of the day of sampling.
For an appointment call +30 210 6966000 (Attica), +30 2310 459660 (Thessaloniki) or directly contact the Diagnostic Center of your choice. (https://bioiatriki.gr/diagnostika-kentra).
Furthermore, on weekends COVID-19 testing is performed at Athens BioClinic and Thessaloniki BioClinic, from 07.00–15.00.
Bioiatriki HEALTHCARE GROUP has 23 designated sampling sites for COVID-19 testing in Greece (located in Attica, Evia, and Thessaloniki) and 9 sampling sites in Cyprus.
Sampling is performed with comfort and discretion in specially designed areas located outside the Unit, and in accordance with all required protective measures. Right from the very start, the special protocols of the National Organization for Public Health (EODY) and the World Health Organization (WHO) are followed.
• Sampling is performed by specialized and experienced nurses wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) who are trained to answer any questions the examinee might ask.
• The examinee arrives by appointment at a separate reception point, thereby reducing the waiting period which is limited to a few minutes. He/she does not come into contact with people visiting the facility.
Processing and analysis of the specimen is performed within Bioiatriki’s facilities, in the privately owned certified laboratories. The Molecular Genetics laboratory consists of 10 biologists and 2 medical laboratory technologists fully trained in new technologies. It is equipped with five automated analyzers of nucleic acid extraction that can process up to 350 samples in less than 4 hours. Additionally, the Laboratory is equipped with 5 real-time PCR equipment of the latest technology which have the ability to provide reliable results for the virus detection, in compliance with the guidelines of the World Health Organization (WHO).
The laboratory is also equipped with two automated analyzers for fast molecular qualitative detection of SARS-CoV-2, which give reliable results after 20 to 45 minutes and with less than one minute of sample preparation. The laboratory can perform up to 2000 molecular based tests daily, thanks to modern infrastructure and well-trained personnel.
All tests are performed under biosafety conditions, based on local and international guidelines. Extensive diagnostic experience to date has enabled rapid adaptation to increased demands during the pandemic. The central laboratories in Athens and Thessaloniki are certified according to ISO 9001:2015 while the Molecular Biology Laboratory is accredited according to ISO 15189 standards (for respective infectious agents) and ISO 17025.
For four decades, Bioiatriki HEALTHCARE GROUP has been at the top of private Primary Health Care, consistently providing reliable services of high quality.
We invest daily in collaborations/partnerships with business and social partners, building relationships of mutual trust.
Many of the largest corporate groups in the country trust the health of their employees in Bioiatriki, which approaches the different needs of each corporate partner in a responsible and flexible manner.
Bioiatriki HEALTHCARE GROUP cooperates with companies of various sectors, shipping companies, but also with sport clubs and various associations, providing preventive and diagnostic testing to their employees and members.
Confidence in Bioiatriki HEALTHCARE GROUP was even more pronounced during the pandemic, when dozens of big companies and organizations chose the Group's services for COVID-19 tests, in order to continue to operate smoothly and safely.
We are here for you , ensuring safety and responsibility.
At Bioiatriki Healthcare Group we strive daily for the health of everyone. We are by your side, continuing our work with responsibility. We aim to provide the best possible service, with absolute priority to safety. We have implemented safety precautions to help ensure your confidence and comfort while visiting our Diagnostic Units and Clinics to get the testing you need.
We are committed to taking care of your health on a daily basis.
• We perform all tests regularly.
• We constantly observe and follow the special safety guidelines of the National Organization of Public Health (EODY) and the World Health Organization (WHO).
• We recommend to our patients to follow the instructions of their doctors.
• We are constantly expanding the Sampling Network for COVID-19, in Attica, Evia and Thessaloniki, for the best and safest service of the community.
• We perform COVID sampling for molecular (PCR) and rapid antigen testing in specially designed areas (ISOBOX located outside of the main facilities), with discretion and all the necessary protective measures. The examinee arrives by a scheduled appointment at a separate reception area, does not come in contact with people who visit us for their routine testing and the sampling is carried out within a few minutes.
• We perform sampling for antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 virus in exclusive blood collecting areas, implementing all the necessary safety measures. We also quantify specific IgG antibodies against the spike protein (spike S1/S2) of SARS-CoV-2 virus, as well as the quantitative determination of neutralizing antibodies against the SARS-CoV-2 virus, the body's defense against the virus.
• We post daily articles, tips and useful information on our website as well as on social media, Facebook and Instagram.
Protection and security in our premises are a priority
• We disinfect the areas of our facilities and work surfaces daily.
• We all wear masks and gloves in the Units, while doctors, nurses, and the laboratory personnel wears additional protective gear (disposable goggles, single-use lab coats, head, and shoe covers).
• We use only one entrance to enter the Units.
• We inform the examinees to visit our Units wearing a mask and to observe government and state health and safety guidelines.
• We carry out no-contact temperature checks on every visitor (examinees and their escorting person) upon entering the Units.
• We have installed special plexi-glass protection in all reception desks.
• We are limiting number of patients, prioritizing appointments, and spacing out chairs in waiting rooms.
• We have placed antiseptics in all areas for frequent hand disinfection.
• We have withdrawn all the brochures and magazines from the waiting areas.
• We have extended the time schedule that appointments require to reduce on-site mass gatherings.
We protect the health of our people
• The employees of the Group, especially those who are employed in sensitive units such as the laboratories, are checked regularly.
• The temperature of our employees is measured daily upon arrival by no-contact temperature check.
• Working hours and shifts have been modified to prevent many people from being in the same place at the same time.
• All staff are given written guidelines that are followed strictly.
• We are close to you, with safety and responsibility, thanks to our people, who continue their work in promoting Health and providing high quality services.
• For any queries, you may contact Bioiatriki’s HEALTHCARE GROUP Diagnostic Centers and Clinics by phone or via email.
In late December 2019 in Wuhan city (capital of Hubol province, in China) a pneumonia epidemic broke. Early in 2020 the Chinese authorities identified that the cause of the epidemic was a new coronavirus, which until that time did not have the ability to infect humans.
This is a new type of virus from the coronaviruses’ "family", which have been known for many years in the medical community and are named after the glycoprotein spikes that surround their surface like a crown and serve to attach to tissues and facilitate their entry into the cells. Outbreaks of severe respiratory syndrome from coronavirus have occurred before. The World Health Organization (WHO) has named the new virus SARS-CoV-2 (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus-2) and the disease that causes COVID-19 (Corona Virus Disease-19).
WHO declared a pandemic, since the virus has now spread to dozens of countries around the world -including Greece- with tens of thousands of cases and fatalities. Many countries are taking unprecedented measures to restrain the spread of the virus. Quarantine in large areas, suspension shopping mode and other activities, travel restrictions are a few of these measures.
The virus appears to be easily transmitted from one person to another and can be spread rapidly, infecting people of all ages. Although in most cases it causes a mild disease, it can be dangerous, especially for people with fragile health, and even life-threatening. The virus has appeared only recently, which is why international health organizations have little information about its behavior. Research is underway in parallel with the pandemic, with the aim of developing preventive and therapeutic measures against the virus as soon as possible. At present, there is no specific treatment for COVID-19. The treatments used on a case-by-case basis are supportive and aim to prevent serious complications. Thus, experts constantly remind us that the most effective means of protection is to meticulously follow the basic hygiene rules.